Results and Accomplishments
The Downeast Lakes Land Trust purchased, at fair market value, a 27,080 acre “community forest” from Typhoon, LLC that will form the basis for a growing ecotourism economy dependent on the natural resource base in the area, and the New England Forestry Foundation purchased a 312,000 acre conservation easement from Typhoon, LLC – the second largest forestland easement in United States history, at a cost of just $39.43 per acre. NEFF is responsible for monitoring this easement and an easement over the fee purchase lands forever, to assure compliance with the terms.
The fee and easement, which covers 25% of Washington County, Maine, land, will protect:
· 1,500 miles of stream and river shoreline
· 60 lakes and ponds with 445 miles of shoreline
· 54,000 acres of wetlands
· 5% of the common loons of northern Maine
· breeding habitat for more than 130 bird species including 23 species of warblers
· more than eight active bald eagle nests
The fee and easement lands will remain available to the public for traditional recreational activities including hunting, fishing, hiking, bird watching, and snowmobiling.